|Before & After|
Here's my "photo essay" of my journey to a reupholstered guest room chair.... and the best part, it only cost me $20 to do it. ($4 for the fabric, $8 for foam, $2 for headliner material and $6 for the furniture stripper to remove the old finish from the arms/legs)- now to make a window treatment out of the left over material I got.... but that's a whole other post!
Here's the chair as it was (it has been on my "list of things to toss or fix" for a while now) I "inherited" it when I married my husband, oh nearly 10 years ago, who had inherited it from his parents when he moved out into his "bachelor pad"):
|Notice the top piece has batting showing through, thanks to a cat...|
|The finish looked like it needed a redo, and the seat was sagging|
While the sagging seat and ripped top were features that made this chair so "endearing" (especially to my husband), I was ready to do something about it. After watching two DIY reupholstery videos on Youtube, I figured I was good to go! :) One thing that helped me (and was suggested in one of the videos) was taking A LOT of pictures as I took the chair apart.
|Removing the legs/arms|
|The bottom of the seat|
I wanted to save the webbing that was under the seat, so I wouldn't have to buy more... so armed with a screwdriver and needle-nose pliers, I got to work!
|Removing the staples, so that I didn't rip the webbing was tough!|
|But I was able to get it...|
|Look at all of those staples that were hidden by the webbing... oh no!|
I had my work cut out for me! I watched/listened to Les Miserables on PBS while I took off the upholstery. (Do you hear the people sing? I did for hours on end after watching it, instant replay in my head is GREAT!) I think I need to invest in a tool that removes the staples, because it was tough to get some of those staples out!
|Most of the seat is finished... see what I meant by "sagging" seat!|
|The top portion, with the upholstery removed|
I tried to be very careful in removing the upholstery since I needed it to be my pattern!
|After I ripped out the seams, I have a pattern|
I laid the old upholstery on top of the material and added a couple of inches to the width and length, but cut the "corners" exactly.
|Pinned the "pattern" to the new fabric|
|Pinned the corners together (right sides together)|
|The back rest upholstery, I had to rip the seams... (I couldn't believe how dirty this chair was, yuck!!)|
After ripping the seams, I used the pieces as my pattern:
Pinned it all together, and sewed--
|the completed top piece, attached by stapling the fabric to the bottom of the back rest|
Now, on to the seat:
After removing the old foam-- I added new "foam" (headliner) to the front of the seat:
Then stapled the new foam onto the frame, I had no idea that foam was so expensive, I was glad I got it for 50% off!!
|The foam stapled onto the frame|
Back to the sewing machine, time to sew up the "corners" on the seat fabric:
Then I stapled the fabric back onto the frame, and completed it with the webbing (yes, I did manage to save it)!
|The finished bottom of the seat|
Now on to the legs/arms:
My arms are still telling me about this part of the project! :) At first I thought I could just sand the old finish away... ha ha ha ha, not so. After a quick trip to the hardware store, I bought some furniture stripper (and boy is it MEAN stuff!!), and came home and took the old finish off. **Note: This stuff ate through my rubber kitchen gloves, I guess you can buy special gloves for this, but I didn't so I went through 2 pairs of kitchen gloves in this process!!**
|The arms/legs after they had been stripped|
Next it was on to sanding-- twice, once with 150 grit, and then once again with 240 grit (per the directions on my stain).
After staining the arms/legs (2 coats), I let them sit overnight before reassembling.
Now to put it all back together:
|Thanks to my husband, it got put back together in record time!|
The finished product:
|In it's home in the guest room!|
It sure matches the bedding better than the old version! :) Next up on my "to do list"-- the window treatment for the room with the extra material!
Thanks for reading along!
This mess was brought to you by,
This post is partying here!